Sunday, June 6, 2010

Boletus sp.

It rained a lot this week. Therefore there are plenty of mushrooms growing on the lawns around my block. On a short walk today I spotted at least 5 or 6 different species of mushrooms growing (ex. Russula sp., Ganoderma lucidum, Panaelous fonisecii and some two or three others that I did not know). I am going to start by these boletes which I though were quite beautiful.

Date: 06/06/2010
Location: Rockville, MD
Habitat: Growing on grass, two specimens one meter apart

Measurements
Pileus diameter - 25 mm | 26 mm
Pileus height - 5.5 mm | 8.8 mm
Stipe length - 31 mm | 31 mm
Stipe diamater at apex - 6.8 mm | 8.8 mm
Stipe diameter at middle - 7.6 mm | 10.2 mm
Stipe diameter at base - 10.2 mm | 8.5 mm

Description
Pileus - Brick red/orange brown color, glabrose, dry, dull, smooth, round, convex/flat, margin is entire,  plane, no partial veil, insipid, inodorous.
Hymenium - white with tiny pores, bruises brown but very slowly, pores are circular.
Stipe - solid (one of them had a small central whole towards the middle of the stipe), white flesh, bicolorous surface with brown bottom and light brown top, inserted, no ring, volva or reticulation.
Spore print - did not manage to obtain one.

Impressions
It looks like a bolete but I can not identify the species. I posted it on Mushroom Observer to see what other people thing and Irene Anderson suggested that it could be Gyroporus castaneus. This little bolete is a common urban inhabitant. Roger's Mushrooms consider it to be edible and excellent. Given that boletes are reasonably easy to identify and, if you exclude the red boletes and the ones that bruise blues, most do not have any poison next time I find other G. castaneus I'll definitely try them ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment